En USA comienzan a incendiar los SUV´s sus propios dueños.

Tema en 'Foro General BMW' iniciado por Gus, 12 Jun 2006.

1. Gus

Gus Tali-bahn Administrador Coordinador

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    i3/Z3/MiniE/X1
    La firgen santa...al parecer debido al aumento de precios del combustible (ya hay que ser retrasado mental), se ha detectado un aumento de casos de incendio fraudulento de ese tipo de coches, frecuentemente "sugerida" por algunos vendedores de coches más económicos como forma de financiación más "satisfactoria" :???:

A través del vendedor, se les facilitaba un pirómano como...de guardia :descojon: que cobraba 300 dólares que debían dejar en la guantera, con las llaves del coche puestas.

En esta ocasión no se anduvieron por las ramas y quemaron dos casi juntos (encima de estafadores, pringaos :descojon: )

Link:

http://money.cnn.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/115584/article.html

[​IMG]

Special Reports
    Torch My Ride: Arson for Hire
    Debt-weary SUV owners unload their gas-guzzlers on insurance companies
    By Edmunds.com Editors
    Date Posted 06-06-2006
    SUV owners who are faced with rising gas prices have found a new way to get out from under their high car payments — arson.

This trend was spotted by a Southern California arson task force in the summer of 2005 when gas prices spiked. At one point, firefighters responding to a report of a vehicle fire arrived at the Los Angeles River Bed to find two SUVs burning at the same time.

Investigators found the arson-for-hire ring involved a new-car dealership in Cerritos, California. Debt-weary SUV owners contacted the finance manager, hoping to trade in their gas-guzzler for something cheaper. They were then put in touch with an arsonist who told them to leave the keys in the ignition and $300 cash in the glovebox. An arsonist would then take the car to a remote location and set it afire. After the car was torched, the owners would then contact their insurance company and report their vehicle stolen, expecting their debt to be cancelled. Instead, they were investigated for insurance fraud.

A sting operation was arranged and an undercover officer posed as an "upside-down" SUV owner who wanted his vehicle burned. "Upside-down" refers to a loan where more money is owed than the car is worth. The vehicle was left at a predetermined location with cash in the glovebox. However, the would-be arsonist didn't know there was a "dash cam" installed in the car to videotape his actions. When the arsonist removed the money and started to drive away, investigators hit a kill switch and triggered the door locks, trapping him inside. Simultaneously, warrants were served on seven other people involved in the arson ring.

The loser in all this is the driving public. "You and I pay for it in our premiums," said Robert Rowe, arson investigator for the City of Downey and a member of the task force. "Insurance premiums for everyone increase when crimes [like this] are committed."

Rowe said that "the likelihood of being caught [for vehicle arson] has increased tremendously. It used to be a dark secret but the secret is now becoming revealed. Investigators are now being trained and are networking with the insurance companies to uncover these crimes."

At the root of the problem: People pay too much for a vehicle they really can't afford.

"Because of the way the economy has gone, the gas prices skyrocketing the way they have, we started to see a peak" (in arsons), Rowe said. "People that had the gas-guzzlers that got eight miles per gallon, they started to get hit hard. They didn't want those cars anymore."

Faced with rising gas prices, people who are trapped in a high-payment lease have no easy way to escape without a stiff penalty.

"People will lease a car for 84 months with zero down and they have some outrageous payment," said Rowe. "They start to realize they are living beyond their means."

The responsible solution would be to advertise the car for sale, pay off the loan and switch to a more affordable ride (even leased cars can be bought and then sold to get out of high payments). The irresponsible solution some people choose is to burn the vehicle and let the insurance company pay what is owed.

A former firefighter from nearby Lynwood, California, said, "We used to get called out on vehicle fires and when we got there we would find a brand-new car was burning. Some of them were stolen but we knew that most of them were people trying to get out from under their car note. It seemed like it happened just about every night."

Jennifer Mieth, manager of fire data and public education at the Massachusetts State Fire Marshall's Office, said car fires are "cyclical." She added, "When times are good, fires are down. When they are bad they go up."

In 1984, Mieth said it was "commonly accepted for Mr. and Mrs. Citizen to 'sell' their car back to the insurance company by lighting it on fire." To put a stop to that, the Burned Motor Vehicle Reporting Law was passed in 1987. This required the owner of a burned vehicle to complete and sign a report that must also be signed by a fire official from the department where the fire occurred. The new law was the most likely reason that vehicle fires dropped 95 percent, from a high of 5,116 in 1987 to 217 in 2004.

Vehicle arson has had a long and occasionally humorous track record over the years. In Texas, a car salesman was arrested after offering his customers what he called a "rotisserie program." He would have their cars torched; then, after they collected on the insurance, he sold them a new car. In another part of the state, two students were arrested after they torched their high school teacher's car in exchange for passing grades.

Rowe, a firefighter since 1994, is in charge of contacting owners of burned vehicles to make sure their stories add up. While he hasn't seen any "rotisserie programs," he has heard his share of lies. Often he will begin his investigation by contacting the dealership where the car was purchased to see the sales jacket (loan contract) of a burned car. If the owner is upside-down, and particularly if they recently purchased "gap insurance" to make sure they were fully covered, they fall under suspicion.

Actually, torching your own car isn't illegal, although as Rowe points out, if you have financed it, "you will pay for that burned-out shell for the rest of the lease." However, if you report the fire to your insurance company as accidental, when in fact it was arson, you have committed insurance fraud.

"In the majority of the fires we have on the freeways, nine out of 10 times the owner is still with the car, or close by," Rowe said. So when a car is found burning, and no owner is in sight, it quickly becomes suspicious. In most arson cases, the car is reported stolen. But due to sophisticated anti-theft devices, it's not easy to steal a car without the key. Many owners become vague when Rowe asks them to account for the second key. Often, they maintain the dealership never gave it to them when they initially purchased the car.

"We also look at the burn pattern [in the vehicle] going from the area of least damage to the area of most damage," Rowe said. "People who are burning it for insurance purposes want a total loss. The only way to do that quickly and efficiently before the fire department gets there is to use an accelerant."

Rowe is not the only one who has seen an increase in SUV fires. Arson investigators in San Diego County saw vehicle arson go up 34 percent between 1998 and 2002, prompting analysts to surmise that more people facing economic hardship may be setting fires to their cars to escape high payments.

Meanwhile, nearly 20 percent of all arsons occur in vehicles, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Additionally, arson is the second-highest cause of vehicle fires.

To better investigate these crimes, Rowe has educated himself on the car-buying process. What he sees shocks him. "The deals are out there, but when the pencil meets the paper the deals really aren't that great. You'll see a car payment that is incredible and their rent is incredible but their income doesn't support either.

"People become desperate during financial hardship," Rowe observed. "It's not because they are bad people; they just get pushed into a financial corner and they make poor decisions. There are ways out of it — but people want a quick fix."

For anyone considering this "quick fix" Rowe said he wanted to send them a message. Quoting the line delivered by Robert De Niro in the 2000 hit movie Meet the Parents, he said, "I'm watching you!"

2. yanthuan

yanthuan Forista

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    E39 530iA
    En EEUU tienen algún problema con el precio del carburante por mucho que lo suban??? jejejejjeje me gustaría ver que iniciativa tomaban si el precio del carburante estuviese proporcionalmente igual que en Europa....¿seguirían fabricando coches cafetera???

Si fabricasen coches no cafetera, ¿cuánto tiempo tardarán en ponerse al día respecto a las vertientes japo-alemana?? ¿Lo conseguirían???

Tengo mis dudas....

Aparte son un poco asquerositos.... (no los trago ni en pintura)

3. ORIGINAL2

ORIGINAL2 Guest

:descojon: j*der comoesta el patio.

ahhh¡¡¡ vaya pedazo de reportaje especial, y lo bien que se entiende,:descojon: :descojon: :descojon: estoy por impriirlo para traducirlo esta noche:descojon: :descojon: :descojon:

Lo podias haber traducido en spnisch :descojon: :descojon:

4. Gus

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    i3/Z3/MiniE/X1
    biggrin Juer es que está lleno de ridículas anecdotillas yanquis y estadísiticas tipo "aumentaron en san Diego los incendios provocados un 34%" y morralla de esa biggrin

5. Joss

Joss Forista Senior Coordinador

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    E70 F06 F55 Z3
    Por lo menos en este caso, el "listillo" de turno se carga su propio bien y estafa a su seguro...no como otros, que buscan a algun pobre hombre que le rompa el parachoques.
    Hasta entre los chorizos hay clases :)
    Salutes.

6. Heatseeker

Heatseeker Forista Legendario

Me Gusta:
    Gas-Guzzler, el propio nombre lo indica. Si moralmente está feo estafar al prójimo incendiando tu propio coche, también lo está el dilapidar recursos comunes. Hora era ya que se empezasen a acabar estos mamotretos tragaldabas, al peo con ellos.

7. EÄRENDIL

EÄRENDIL Clan Leader Miembro del Club

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Arkana Bonito..
    Unete a BMW FAQ Club Unete a BMW FAQ Club Unete a BMW FAQ Club
    Alguien sabe a cómo va el Galón en los USA?

8. javicampo

javicampo Guest

Y yo que no veo a mi padre quemando su X5 :)

9. kazarn

kazarn Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    me descojono juasssssssssssssssssssssssss :descojon::descojon: :floor:

10. Cris

Cris Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    ///M3 ///M330 ci
    a estos yankis no les rula el cerebro.

11. yanthuan

yanthuan Forista

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    E39 530iA
    Completamente de acuerdo con lo que dices, me parece una falta de moral y de solidaridad tremenda el hacer eso.... así son nuestros amigos los yankis arrasan con lo que pillan por delante impunes[-(

12. javicampo

javicampo Guest

Qué se puede esperar de un país cuyos presidentes son cultivadores de cacahuetes, sátiros, actores de medio pelo retirados e incluso algunos con complejo de Sheriff del condado...

13. davidW

davidW Mozo Moderador Miembro del Club

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Estocástico
    Creo que en ese país se llaman BorderLiners

14. guakarimaso

guakarimaso Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    530IA touring
    OPA voy a quemá er corrá:rock:

15. Furius

Furius Guest

El galón creo que son unos 4 litros, yo recuerdo que hace un tiempo hice el cálculo a convertir de dólar / euro, galón / litro y renta per cápita USA / España...
    resumiendo que equivaldría a tener el combustible aquí 4 veces menos, quizás ahora 3 veces con la subida.

Es decir, equiparablemente pagan 3 veces menos el litro y se quejan!!!
    lógico que no haya diesel y sí tragadores de gasolina.

El TDI tiene más futuro que nunca en los USA, ya veréis cuando se den cuenta de lo que andan y lo poco que consumen.

p.d. En Venezuela salió un reportaje de que llenar el depósito de un Chevy eran 2 € o algo así, coches de los 70 americanos que consumen 50 l/100 y los usan los taxistas.

p.d.2 Si Kioto levantara la cabeza...

16. POLA

POLA Forista Senior

Me Gusta:
    Tios alquien sabe que llevan las hamburguesas de Mc'donalds en USA? Porque eso no es normal:):):)

17. Menuda averia que tienen algunos...

18. Gus

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    i3/Z3/MiniE/X1
    Juassssssssssssssssss :descojon: :descojon:

Y Daimler -Chrysler no se entera! :descojon: :floor:

Llama a revisión a 111.000 Cherokees porque ha habido... 32 incendiados! :floor: :floor: :floor:

"Chrysler today announced the recall of 111,700 Jeep Grand Cherokees after 32 reports of fires in the vehicles. The seat warmers in 2003 and 2004 models could overheat, causing the adhesives in the seat and ignite. “Prolonged operation via the latching switch could lead to an overheating of the seat cover and the potential ignition of materials left on the unoccupied seat,” the automaker said. "

19. CARLOSZ3

CARLOSZ3 Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Juer, a ver cuando empiezan a quemar Hummers..

20. Alfa156

Alfa156 Top always down! Coordinador Miembro del Club

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    981S / F30
    Creo que anda a 3$ el galón el precio de la chofa allí.... pensar que cuando costaba 1,5$, ya les parecía caro.

Nota: 3$/galón equivale a unos 55 céntimos de euro el litro... es decir, menos de la mitad que aquí....

Aquí tenéis un link interesante, por cierto que el gasoil cuesta casi lo mismo que la chofa... http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

21. Alfa156

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    981S / F30
    Por cierto, como os he dicho, en el link que os he puesto, se ve que hace 2 años, estaba en 1,75$ por galón... casi regalada para nuestro nivel, vamos... :roll:.... así cualquiera... :bash:

22. mailto

mailto Forista

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    X5 40e
    estos yankees estan zumbaos!!! #-o #-o #-o

23. little_homer

little_homer Guest

Que es lo que valdría aqui si no lo cargaran con tantos , tantíssimos impuestos

24. Alfa156

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    981S / F30
    Sí, sí.. efectivamente la diferencia es únicamente la carga fiscal ;-)

25. masr

masr Forista

Me Gusta:
    Jode que bueno, no se dieron cuenta que el propietario tenia un mechero zyppo en la mano.

Salus.

26. little_homer

little_homer Guest

Es lo que tiene tener que pagar el estut.... :)

27. Alfa156

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    981S / F30
    Mira que te gusta poner el trapo, a ver si entra alguien.... :)

28. little_homer

little_homer Guest

:ang: :ang: Yooo? :mus-

29. Lilipuf

Lilipuf Forista

Me Gusta:
    Aún asi siempre hay el tontolabas que critica a estados unidos por "tener la gasofa barata".

30. cifu

cifu Forista Senior

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Laetitia Casta
    Pues que apechuguen con sus V8 de tropecientosmil cm3:flip:...ahora q llegan las vacas flacas se dan cuenta de que tener un coche q consume 30 litros es caro, j*der aqui vale el aceite de oliva 3 veces menos que alli y no frío un huevo con 1 litro y medio...pero es lo que tiene la prepotencia descontrolada:-$

Compartir esta página